If you haven’t heard of maruya before, it is a local banana fritter where they coat saba bananas in light batter and sprinkle it with sugar.
I see them usually sold by vendors as a quick merienda.
You can also try them at home and make them as a healthier alternative for your snacks.
- 6 pcs saba banana peeled and sliced lengthwise into about ¼ inch-thick pieces
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pc medium-sized egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp butter melted
- 1 cup oil
- sugar for sprinkling
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, egg, milk and butter in a bowl. Then add the bananas and mix well.
- In a pre-heated pan with oil, using a ladle, scoop the batter with bananas into the oil and fry until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Dust with sugar before serving.