For the coconut caramel sauce:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup macapuno (sweet coconut preserves)
For the milk custard:
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 can (300 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp lemon or lime (dayap) zest
- 3 cups hot water
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, caramelize sugar until it’s amber in color. Do not burn.
- Carefully pour the caramel syrup into llaneras or any oven-safe molding dishes.
- Set aside and allow to cool. Add the macapuno strips.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a mixing bowl, add the rest of the ingredients except the hot water. Mix thoroughly.
- Strain the mixture. Gently pour it into the molding dishes. Cover them with aluminum foil.
- Place the molding dishes into a deep baking pan. Carefully pour hot water into the baking pan. Bake in the oven for 75 to 90 minutes.
- Stick a toothpick into the flan. If it comes out clean, it’s done. Otherwise, put it back in the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool, then chill in the fridge overnight.
- Serve and enjoy.