- 2 & 1/2 cups Glutinous Rice (malagkit)
- 4 cups Coconut Milk (or 1 can coconut milk plus enough water to make 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seed (optional)
For the Toppings:
- 1 can Coconut Cream or 1 & 1/2 cups Kakang Gata
- 250 g Brown Palm Sugar or Dark Brown Sugar
- Banana Leaves, heated (dish lining)
- Vegetable or Canola Oil (for brushing)
- In a pot, dissolve the sugar in the coconut milk. Add the optional anise seeds.
- Wash the glutinous rice and pour into the coconut milk and sugar mixture.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is fully absorbed by the rice.
- Put the coconut cream and palm sugar on a separate pan and cook over medium heat.
- Stir continuously until the liquid has reduced in half.
- Place the banana leaves at the bottom of a baking dish and brush with oil. Spread the cooked sweet rice onto the leaves and flatten evenly.
- Spread the topping onto the sweet rice and bake on a 350 F, pre-heated oven for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- When buying palm sugar, get the darker brown, not the light brown so the topping will have an appetizing golden color.
- Lightly heat the banana leaf over the stove-top burner or in the microwave to make it pliable and easy to handle.
- Oil your spoon or spatula when spreading the sweet rice onto the baking dish for easy handling.