- 1 to 1 & 1/4 cup milo powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream (> 35% fat)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean (cut lengthwise and scrape seeds)
- In a large bowl with flat surface, prepare an ice bath. Set aside.
- Pour the heavy cream into a mixing bowl and place it into the large bowl with ice bath.
- Combine milo powder, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla bean seeds in a pot and warm them up over medium heat. Mix until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks lightly.
- Gently pour the milo mixture into the egg yolks in a steady stream. Do this while whisking constantly.
- Transfer the mixture back into the pot.
- Put the pot to low heat and gently cook, while stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve into the mixing bowl with the heavy cream.
- Stir to mix well until the mixture cools to room temperature.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer instructions.
- Serve directly as soft serve from the ice cream maker or chill in freezer in an airtight container until needed.
- Optional: Top ice cream with milo powder when serving.