- 1 lb fish flesh
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- Water (for boiling)
- Cooking oil (for frying)
- Grind the flesh into a thick paste using a food processor (you can also manually pound this to make fish paste).
- Transfer the paste into a mixing bowl.
- Add- in the salt, sugar, cornstarch, and water.
- Stir the mixture using your hands until well combined.
- Shape the mixture into a big ball.
- Lift the ball from the bowl and then slap back into the bowl.
- Repeat for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the fish paste is smooth and shiny and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl.
- Portion the mixture using a spoon and shape into balls by rolling between the palm of your hands.
- Pour about 4 quarts of water in a cooking pot.
- Place over medium heat and bring it to a boil.
- Gently drop fish balls into boiling water and cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until they begin to float on top.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the fish balls from water and allow to cool.
- Heat about 2 inches of oil in a wide pan.
- Add the fish balls and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and puffed.
- Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
Image: youtube.com (eat@home2nite)