- 2 & 1/2 cups all- purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 egg yolks
- 8 egg whites
- 2 tbsp grated orange peel
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Preheat an oven to 325 F and grease 16 muffin cups.
- Combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl, stir and mix well.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the oil, egg yolks, grated orange peel, vanilla extract, orange juice, and water. Mix well until no lumps are seen.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until foamy in a large glass or metal mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks form.
- Lift your beater or whisk straight up, the egg whites should form soft moundsrather than a sharp peak.
- Fold the flour mixture into the egg whites.
- Pour the resulting batter into the prepared muffin cups. Fill about 2/3 of the cup.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pans for another 10 to 15 minutes before removing.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve and enjoy!