- 1/2 kg glutinous rice (malagkit)
- 2 & 1/2 cups coconut cream
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 12 pcs young banana leaves (cut into 10 in x 10 in, each)
- Water, for boiling
- Start by washing the glutinous rice, then soaking it in water for about 30 minutes.
- Drain the water then add- in the coconut cream and a dash of salt.
- Soften cut banana leaves over heat (so it wouldn’t be stiff and wont tear up easily when we use it for wrapping).
- Place a banana leaf in a bowl, push the center part to make a basin- like mold.
- Scoop about half cup of rice mixture to the banana leaf, secure the edges to make a pouch, then tie tightly.
- Repeat to make about 10 to 12 pouches.
- Place the pouches in a pot with water (water level should be about halfway to the sides of pouches).
- Cover and cook for about an hour over medium low heat.
- Remove from the pot and serve warm.
- Sprinkle with some sugar to sweeten. Enjoy!
Image: flickr.com (23allan), pinoykithenette.com