- 1 lb (500 g) fresh medium shrimp, shells intact
- One 12-oz (350-ml) can thick coconut milk or
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) coconut cream mixed with 3/4 cup (175 ml) water
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced and fried until crisp, to garnish (optional)
- Kamias (see note) limes, sliced, to serve (optional)
For the Marinade:
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Filipino vinegar (suka) or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (patis)or
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the Marinade ingredients in a saucepan, place the shrimp in the pan and coat well, then set in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour.
- Remove the shrimp and bring the Marinade to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat, add the coconut milk and simmer for 15 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. Return the shrimp to the pot, stir and bring to a boil.
- Immediately, remove from the heat and garnish with the fried garlic. Serve hot with the kamias limes on the side.