- 1 whole chicken
- 700 ml pineapple juice
- 280 g pineapple tidbits
- 116 g soy sauce
- 55 g brown sugar
- 2 shallots, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 thumb-size ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 32 g cornstarch
- 62 ml water
- Rinse the chicken, drain well, and pat dry.
- In a large pot with a tight-fitting lid, combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil, stirring regularly, until sugar is dissolved.
- Add pineapple tidbits, shallots, garlic, ginger, salt, and peppercorns.
- Add the chicken. Lower heat, cover and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes. Carefully invert chicken (if not fully submerged in the liquid) and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Gently remove chicken from the pot, place on a serving platter, and keep warm. You can chop chicken into serving pieces if you like.
- Garnish platter with additional pineapple tidbits if desired.
- In a colander, strain marinade mixture and discard aromatics. Return liquid back to the pot and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Slowly add the cornstarch slurry to the liquid, whisking vigorously to prevent lumps.
- Continue to cook for about 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Pour half of the sauce over chicken and place remaining half in a bowl to serve as a dipping sauce. Serve hot.