For the Cake:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (1/2 tbsp vinegar + milk to complete half cup)
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
For the Frosting:
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup evaporated filled milk
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (softened at room temperature)
- pinch of salt
- instant coffee to taste
- Combine vinegar and milk. Mix and let it stand for 5 minutes
- In a bowl mix dry ingredients *except sugar and instant coffee. Mix until well combined
- In a separate bowl combine wet ingredients *except hot water
- Add the white sugar
- mix instant coffee and hot water
- Beat wet ingredients until well combined
- Add vanilla extract and add dry ingredients
- Beat and add hot coffee and then mix well
- Lightly grease the inner pot and line a parchment paper
- Pour cake batter into the pot
- Place the inner pot inside the rice cooker base. Note: do not forget to wrap the lid with a clean cloth
- Press down to cook. Note: if your rice cooker has no cake button just press it down many times until the cake is cook. Just wait for 1-2 min. to press it down again. Repeat to press it few times until the cake is done.
- Check after 20 min. and if the cake is not continue to cook and check again after 5 min.
- Check with a barbecue stick and if it comes out with few moist crumbs it’s cook.
- Take the inner pot out and let it cool for 10-15 min.
- Remove the cake and cool completely Note: Do not worry about the burnt part it can be remove
- When the cake is cool you can now remove the burnt part
For the Frosting:
- In a pan combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, sugar, evaporated milk and instant coffee
- Mix until well combined
- Cook over low heat and bring to a boil. Whisk continuously until the texture is thick
- Turn the heat off and transfer the chocolate paste into a container with cover. Refrigerate until very cold.
- When the cold chocolate paste is ready we can now beat the butter
- Beat until light in color and fluffy
- Add cold chocolate paste 1 tbsp at a time. Mix after each addition
- After mixing you can now frost and decorate your cake.