- 400 g grated cassava
- 150 g brown sugar
- 80 g shredded buko (optional)
For the Toppings (optional):
- 80 g grated coconut
- 110 g margarine
- 110 g muscovado sugar
- Squeeze the grated cassava to dispel juices until dry. You can do this using a cheesecloth or katsa. Discard liquid after.
- In a bowl, sift through the cassava using hands to break clumps and remove any hard fibers.
- Add brown sugar and shredded young coconut, if using. Stir together well combined.
- Divide cassava mixture into the tin molds. Use a spoon to gently pat and even the surface. Arrange the molds in a single layer on the steamer basket.
- Over medium heat, bring water to a boil in the steamer pot. Place steamer basket, cover, and steam the cassava puto for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool.
- Remove from molds and top with optional toppings, enjoy!