For the Puto:
- 2 cups of All-purpose flour
- 4 tsps Baking powder
- 2/3 cup of white granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 & 1/4 cup of water
- Few drops of yellow food coloring (optional)
For the Flan:
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (370g)
- 2 tsps of lemon or calamansi juice
- Create the flan by mixing the egg yolks and condensed milk, then add the lemon/calamansi juice.
- Heat water in you steamer, and then bring to a boil. Grease your puto moulds lightly, and fill them with your flan mixture about 1/3 full.
- Steam your flan for 20 minutes. Check your flan once in a while and see if the flan is almost cooked and no longer in its liquid form. Once it is ready, set aside.
- To create your puto mixture, start by sifting the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients and mix (remember not to overmix).
- Add your puto mixture over your flan mixture and steam again for around 15 minutes. Or until it has risen and shows a shiny dome.
- Allow them to cool down before your remove them from the moulds to make sure that the flan and the puto stick together.
- Use a knife to loosen the puto from the mould and tap slightly to release.
- Serve and enjoy!