2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup (60g) butter, unsalted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose/plain flour
- 2 cups sharp-flavored Cheddar cheese, grated/shredded
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the milk into the saucepan. Heat over medium heat. When bubbles begin to form, remove from the heat.
- Add the butter to the another saucepan. Melt over medium-low heat.
- Sprinkle flour into the melted butter. Stir to form a thickened paste.
- Pour the warm milk into the flour paste. Pour in gradually, whisking in the milk as you tip it. The sauce will thicken over 5 minutes, as you continue to stir.
- Add the cheese to the thickened mixture. Whisk through to help it melt in.
- Tip in the hot sauce and cayenne pepper. Stir through. Then season with salt and pepper to taste. Do a taste test; add more of any of these seasonings if needed.
- Serve. Pour the sauce over the pre-arranged nachos.