I’m sure you’ve tried (and loved) the delicious leche flan. And if you’re a cake fan as well, then this recipe is surely a treat for you!
Now you can get your favorite leche flan atop a soft yummy chiffon cake. So try making this at home!
Leche Flan Cake Recipe
For the Leche Flan Layer:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 pcs large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
For the Chiffon Cake Layer:
- 3 pcs large eggs separated
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour sifted
- 3/4 cup caster sugar divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place tray with water for the water bath in the oven on the rack. Place cake pan in the oven to heat up.
- Make the Caramel for leche flan: In a saucepan, add sugar. Place over medium heat. Let stand until edges begin to melt and brown, then swirl the pan, away from the heat as needed to prevent burning, to completely melt the remaining sugar and caramelize. Keep hot.
- Remove cake pan from the oven, and pour caramelized sugar into the hot pan. Tap and swirl the pan as needed to spread the caramel evenly over the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the Leche Flan layer: In a large bowl, using a spatula, blend egg yolks, condensed milk, evaporated milk, vanilla extract, and salt until smooth. Pass through a strainer to remove any lumps. Set aside.
- Make the Chiffon Cake layer: In a large bowl using a whisk, whisk egg yolks, oil, water, and vanilla extract. Add flour, salt, and 1/2 c. sugar, and stir until just combined. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, add egg whites and cream of tartar, and whisk on Medium-High until foamy. Sprinkle gradually the remaining sugar to make a meringue. Whisk only until stiff peaks.
- Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the cake batter using a whisk. Continue with remaining meringue until completely folded in. Be careful to not over mix the batter and release all the air whipped into the egg whites.
- To assemble, pour leche flan batter over the caramel in the cake pan. Pop any bubbles that form on the surface. Slowly pour over the leche flan batter, the cake batter. The cake batter will float on top. Only fill the pan until 3/4 full to allow the cake to rise without spilling over the top.
- Place cake pan into the oven with the water bath, and bake for 50 minutes or until the chiffon springs back when lightly pressed in the middle. Place a sheet of foil on top of the cake if the top is browning too rapidly.
- Remove cake from the oven, and place on a wire rack. Immediately run a knife around the edges and down to the flan underneath the cake. Place a shallow plate with a rim over the cake pan and quickly flip over. Caramel should gradually pool onto the plate. If not, gently tap the pan to help release the flan from its bottom.
- Remove the cake pan. Chill leche flan cake until cold. Slice and serve cold.
Image: youtube.com (Yummy PH)