The aromatic smell of fruit cakes means Christmas is around (well, at least for some people who love these). Fruit cakes are made up of several fruits and nuts soaked in brandy or rum, giving it that yummy kick!
This is perfect for a quick holiday business or as gifts to your love ones so try learning how to make with this recipe:
Fruit Cake Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 250 g butter melted
- 6 pcs eggs
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup red and green maraschino cherries drained
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup candied pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup brandy or rum
- 2 cups sugar plus 1 cup sugar for caramel syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsps vanilla essence/ extract optional
- In a stainless steel bowl, pour brandy or rum then soak fruits.
- Cover and let stand overnight at room temperature. Set aside.
- In a heated pan, pour 1/2 cup water then dissolved 1 cup sugar until caramelized. Let it cool and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt then mix well.
- Add butter, sugar and eggs, vanilla essence then mix well.
- Add caramel syrup and half of soaked fruits then mix well.
- In a loaf pan, grease with melted butter then dust with flour.
- Pour mixture then bake over 300 F for about 20 minutes then remove from the oven.
- Sprinkle the remaining soaked fruits on top then put back in the oven.
- Bake for another 40 minutes or until golden brown. (Fruit cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.)
- Remove from the oven then brush top with remaining brandy from soaked fruits.
- Let it cool then refrigerate before slicing.
Image: youtube.com (Yummy PH)