- 2 lbs fresh okra, ends trimmed and cut into ½ inch rounds
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 to 4 cups cooking oil
- Pour the cooking oil in a cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed pot.
- Heat oil to about 350 F or 176 C (see notes).
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl, until frothy.
- Add sliced okra and stir to fully coat.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt and pepper.
- Whisk together until well distributed.
- Dredge okra in flour mixture until fully coated.
- Add the coated okra in the pot with hot oil in batches.
- Deep fry, stirring occasionally, for about 2 to 3 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- With a slotted spoon, remove okra from pot and drain on paper towels.
- Season with additional salt, if desired.
- Serve with spicy vinegar dip. Enjoy!
If you have no thermometer to check the temperature, insert a wooden spoon into the oil. If the oil bubbles around the stick, it is hot and ready for deep frying.