Our very own version of the Egg Pie is one of my favorite snacks out there. Every time I go to a local bakery, I always grab one of these goodies.
But you don’t have to go to bakeries or bakeshops to enjoy this every time, you can easily make them at home!
To come up with the right flavor and texture, try this recipe:
Filipino Egg Pie Recipe
- 7 pcs large eggs
- 1 pc large egg white
- 1 pc large egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour more for kneading
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2/3 cup butter cold, cubed
- 1/2 cup ice water water with ice
- 2 cups fresh milk heated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a water bath in a large baking sheet.
For the Pie Dough:
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the middle.
- Add egg yolk and butter.
- Using two forks, cut through the cold butter and yolk until mixture resembles wet sand.
- Pour in 2 tablespoons ice water. Mix until combined.
- Add more water by the tablespoon, as needed or if dough looks too dry, to create a dough that comes away from the bowl.
- When dough begins to separate from the sides, remove and knead very briefly on a lightly floured surface to press dough together.
- Form into a flat round.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill at least 15 minutes.
For the Pie Filling:
- In another bowl, mix sugar and cornstarch.
- Create a well and beat in whole eggs.
- Pour in hot milk, and stir until well blended. Set aside.
- Take out the slightly chilled dough. Dough should be firm yet pliable without breaking.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Working quickly, roll out dough using a rolling pin until about 1/4 inch in thickness.
- Gently roll pie crust over the rolling pin.
- Place over an 8-inch deep-dish pie plate and then press dough down gently to fill in the plate.
- Trim off any excess using a knife.
- In a medium bowl, beat remaining egg white until stiff peaks.
- Gently fold into the egg mixture. Do not over mix. Egg white will float to the top.
- Pour batter into the pie crust.
- Place pie in the oven with the water bath. Bake in the center of the oven about 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Place foil over the top of the pie if needed to prevent burning, then bake another 30 minutes or until the egg mixture is set.
- Cool on a wire rack. Chill until cold before slicing and serving.
Image: youtube.com (Yummy PH)