Of course, most of us are familiar with the popular dumpling siomai as it turns out to be one of the go-to Filipino snack food.
This time, instead of pork, we will be using chicken. This way we get a variation in the taste and it’s also much leaner, in case you’re health conscious.
Chicken Siomai Recipe
- 36 pcs siomai wrapper (3 inches in diameter) separated
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- soy sauce and chili garlic sauce for dipping
For the Filling:
- 400 g chicken use ground chicken
- 100 g pork back fat chopped finely
- 1/2 cup shrimp meat chopped
- 1/4 cup canned water chestnuts chopped
- 2 tbsp carrot chopped
- 2 tbsp spring onions chopped
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling thoroughly, except for the egg and cornstarch.
- Add the egg and mix well. Sprinkle cornstarch evenly on the mixture and mix well. Refrigerate the filling for 1 hour.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling in the center of each wrapper.
- Bring the sides of the wrapper over the mixture, pressing gently.
- Flatten the bottom by gently tapping each dumpling on a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining filling.
- Lightly brush the steamer with sesame oil.
- Arrange siomai in the steamer.
- Steam for 10 to 15 minutes or until cooked.
- Serve with soy sauce and chili-garlic sauce.
Image: youtube.com (Panlasang Pinoy)