- 3 pounds chicken legs or thighs
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup calamansi or lemon juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 head garlic. peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Make about 2 to 3 thin cuts on each side of each leg.
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, calamansi juice, brown sugar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir well until sugar and salt are dissolved.
- Add chicken and stir until coated with marinade. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 4 hours. Drain chicken well, discarding marinade.
- In a wide, thick-bottomed pan over medium heat, heat oil.
- Add chicken and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes on each side or until nicely browned on the outside and thermometer inserted in the center reads 165 F.
- Drain chicken from the marinade, reserving marinade.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the marinade into a boil for about 10 to 15 minutes or until heated completely and reduced.
- Grill chicken, regularly basting with the reduced marinade, for about 10 to 15 minutes on each side or until thermometer inserted in the thickest part reads 165 F.