- 2 tbsp bagoong
- 2 pcs large eggplant, stems trimmed and cut into 1- inch cubes
- 1 pc large tomato, chopped
- ½ lb pork belly, cut into 1- inch cubes
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Thai chili pepper, minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Oil, for cooking
- Pour about 2 tbsp of the oil in a skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Add the eggplant and cook until lightly browned (add oil while frying, if needed).
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- In the skillet, heat about 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until limp.
- Add the pork and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the shrimp paste and cook, stirring regularly, until it darkens and pork begins to render fat.
- Add the tomatoes and continue to cook, mashing with back of spoon, until softened.
- Add the vinegar and bring to a boil, uncovered and without stirring, for about 3 to 5 minutes or until almost absorbed.
- Add the water, sugar and chili peppers.
- Lower heat, cover and cook until pork is fork-tender.
- Add the cooked eggplant and continue to cook until liquid is reduced.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy!