- 1 1/2 kl pork belly (fat included), cut into big chunks
- 1 1/2 cups vinegar
- 3 pcs laurel leaves
- 1/2 tsp whole peppercorn
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground peppercorn
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 whole head garlic, peeled and crushed
- In a pan, combine meat and all the ingredients except sugar. Turn to medium heat. Cover.
- Bring to a boil, stir then lower the heat. Cover and let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated, and pork starts to render oil. You will also notice the garlic has thickened the liquid. Add in some salt if needed.
- Gently stir the pork until light brown, keep stirring so it won’t stick on the pan.
- Add sugar into the oil (so you have to push some of the meat into the other side of the pan to make way for the sugar)
- Keep stirring. Careful not to burn the sugar.
- Coat the meat with the sugar syrup.
- Cook for about 10 minutes more.
- Serve with rice.